Monday, August 16, 2010

Flea market finds

Hey everyone! I wanted to share with you some great things I found at a flea market. Yesterday was my birthday and I was supposed to go to Boston to the Blick art store, but there was a change of plans and I ended up spending the day at a flea market instead. At first I was disappointed that I wasn't going to the art store in Boston, but let me tell you... once I got to that flea market (it was huge!) I was in pure heaven. It's like a mecca for mixed media artists!! It is in Londonderry, NH (click here for the website) every weekend and very close to where I live. I can't believe I hadn't gone before!


The first table I visited at the market was a lady who was selling a TON of ribbon and trim...I think I said to my mom, "This is like my dream!" The lady probably thought I was a nut. This is what I ended up getting...I probably would have bought it all if my family didn't have to pull me away from the table. ^_^


I found some old books and paper doilies that will be great to use for collage.. and inside the books were some old ephemera from the 1950s! There were two train and postal tickets and an old greeting card. I love things like this. I think it's so neat how you can have a glimpse into the past and hold something that once belonged to someone decades ago. I doubt I will use them for art because I wouldn't want to ruin them, but maybe sometime.



I got these four colorful rolls of tape for $1... there was a giant box of them ! I also got a bunch of markers and some elementary teaching books that will be very useful in the future!

I didn't get a chance to go to every table because the market was so big.. I hope I didn't miss any other good artsy stuff, but I'll definitely be going back sometime soon. I think it runs through October. Anyone who lives in the southern NH area should check it out.. it takes a little while to look around but you will find some great things to use in your art for sure.

I will be back soon with a post about the sketchbook project tomorrow or Tuesday! Have a creative day. :)

3 comments:

keishua said...

hiya,
I love finding things in old books. It looks like you had quite and adventure.

Tyggereye said...

What great finds! That tape very cool.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

now you make me wanna go and take pictures of my "treasures"